Why Modular Homes/Buildings?
Why Choose a Modular Home or Modular Building?
There are several reasons why modular homes and modular buildings have become so popular for new and seasoned homeowners across the country. Many believe that lower the cost is the main reason to build modular, but surprisingly, lower costs are only a secondary consideration. There are many reasons why choosing a modular home or modular building can provide a wide array of benefits for you and your family. Read on to discover why PSE Consulting Engineers, LLC can guide you to a modular home near me that will fulfill all of your needs!
Virtually all good quality products are built in factories around the world. Cars, planes, ships, computers, printers, cell phones, even the pen you write with are built in factories. In addition, even site built homes use many components that were produced in factories. This includes floor joist, roof rafters, roof trusses, doors, cabinets etc. This is not different when it comes to residential modular homes and commercial modular buildings.
Modular homes take a shorter time for construction compared with site-built homes. This is due to the fact that while the modular home is being built in the factory, another crew is building the foundation at the same time.
While it takes a year or more to build a site-built home, it takes from three to eight months to build a modular home. This depends on the complexity of the modular building.
Modular Homes Are Unaffected by Rain, Snow, Or A Short Construction Season
Modular home construction is not delayed by rain, snow or extreme cold or hot weather. Also, modular homes are excellent choices for areas of short construction seasons such as wet climate locations. No storage area? No problem: modular buildings are the solution
Modular homes are excellent for urban construction, as there is no need for a big storage area. Once the foundation is complete, the house can be lifted right from the truck and assembled in a day or two. For example, modular construction worked incredibly well for projects near downtown Los Angeles, CA.
Fixed Costs For Modular Homes
If you have built a house before, you know how many times your contractor came and asked you to pay additional costs for some issue he/she faced during construction. The contractor, or a member or your family may suggest an upgrade or a change during construction which requires more funding as well. The good news is this is not the case for modular homes. Once you have agreed with the modular home manufacturer on your choices for your home, your costs are set. No changes, no bad surprises, no stress, no headaches.
Economy of Modular Homes
Modular design and construction is a key factor for the economy, and efficiency in modern home construction. All materials, from framing, roofing, and plumbing, electrical, and interior finishes are equal or better to that used in site built construction, yet cheaper due to the big purchase power of the manufacturer. Generally, the cost of modular homes per square foot is less expensive than on-site construction by 10% to 20% on average.
Customized sizes and shapes for modular homes
Modular homes can range from modest starter homes to exclusive custom-built homes. Modular designers and builders have shared two basic goals:
- To give customers exactly what they want and
- To avoid all unnecessary waste in the production process, this yields to a large savings for the client.
Customization, efficiency, sustainability and economy are the basics for today’s modular homes. Every modular home is different. There are many options available for the clients to choose from. Different plan dimensions, layout, room number and sizes, hip, gable or vaulted ceilings are all available, with infinite finishes, high ceiling, two story modulars, that open to the living room below, fire places, large balconies, porches of all sizes, etc, are all available with today’s custom designed residential modular homes.
Addition or replacement for modular buildings & better warranties
Not only are modular homes used for new home construction, but also, to replace or add to many aging homes in the matter of a few months. How about second story modular homes? A modular design could be used to add a second story to your home in a very short amount of time. The warranty offered on a modular home is another incentive. Most site-built homes have a one year warranty, while modular companies generally offer a ten-year warranty on their homes.
PSE Consulting Engineers, LLC Can Help Build Modular Homes Near Me
Since modular homes take a much shorter amount of time for construction, and modular home construction is completed in the factory, the stress period of choosing and changing anyone’s mind is significantly shortened. Choosing a modular home can bring a significant reduction to the stress that usually accompanies the construction of a new home.
In a matter of a couple of weeks, the modular design is finalized, and everyone knows that is the end of the process. The home is then under construction in the factory, at which point changes cannot be made, which, again, can alleviate the stress of a new home project.
Did you know that a modular home or commercial modular building can be the solution for mold?
Modular homes and modular buildings are free of mold. In contrast for site-built homes, it is hard to avoid moisture when you build on the open on-site. One-third to one-half of all structures have damp conditions that may encourage development of mold. Source: U.S. EPA.
A recent survey asked: How important is mold to the homeowner market? The response:
- 59% – A lot. It is making business difficult.
- 29% -The media is overplaying the thing.
- 12% -Very little. It is not a serious issue.
Source: Insurance Journal (1,333 votes)
Our Top Five Reasons to Choose a Residential Modular Home or Commercial Modular Building
- Modular homes are built from the best quality lumber, and are protected in the factory controlled environment. In contrast, on-site houses are typically built from average quality lumber and are open to rain and/or snow during construction. This can cause wood to warp or swell, leading to a lifetime of structural and mold problems.
- Modular manufacturers offer skilled craftsmen steady employment and benefits, resulting in a consistent skilled labor force. You will have no worries about delays relating to inexperienced or tardy labors as your home is nestled within the factory confines.
- With additional insulation and precision craftsmanship, modular homes and commercial modular buildings are significantly more energy efficient. Your utility bills will be far cheaper than your neighbors and save you more money throughout the life of your modular home.
- Factory inspections cover every construction detail of modular homes, which are built to the strictest codes (International Building code, IBC and the International Residential Code, IRC)
- Faster use. You can choose a brand new inventory of modular homes that is already built and move it on to your land in a matter of weeks. You can enjoy your home next year instead of waiting for it for over two years!
More Benefits for Modular Home Owners
- Faster Loan approvals, especially for modular homes
- Less costly design and engineering needed for modular homes.
- Guaranteed price for modular homes.
- A better return on investment when using modular homes
More benefits For Contractors/ Investors when building modular homes
- It is easier to manage modular home construction with less trade involved.
- Less weather damage as most of the construction is already completed by the modular manufacturer.
- Less danger of construction fires with modular construction since most of the sheet-rock is already installed.
- Less costly job-site payrolls as the majority of it is already paid by the modular manufacturer who pays a lower rate than a site-built manufacturer.
- Less costly worker’s compensation insurance.
- Less costly job site inspection as most of it is already done in the modular manufacturer facilities.
- Less costly punch-list procedures.
- Faster use, faster income for modular homes.
The Automated Builder, October 2007 issue listed more than 20 advantages and benefits for modular buildings:
- Always lower interest costs
- Faster use, faster income.
- Fewer mistakes, less costly corrections.
- Optimization of materials.
- Guaranteed prices.
- Better quality materials.
- Less weather damage from storms, rain or fire.
- Less pilferage.
- Better security.
- Less costly clean-up.
- Smaller, less costly job-site payrolls.
- Less costly job-site inspection, fewer red tag violations.
- Less costly appraisals.
- Faster loan approvals.
- Less costly job-site equipment.
- Faster appreciation values.
- Less costly design and engineering.
- Less costly material handling.
- Less costly worker’s compensation insurance.
- Less costly job-site liability insurance.
- Less costly accounting and bookkeeping.
- Less costly punch-list procedures.
- A much better return on investment.
If you’re interested in guidance for planning and executing the construction of a residential modular home or commercial modular building, contact PSE Consulting Engineers, LLC for a quote today! Our skilled team of engineers can help you determine whether a modular home or modular building is the right fit for your project and assist you with laying out the plans to ensure a successful completion of your modular home project.