Building Sustainable Modular Homes
In her book, The Prefab Green, Michelle Kaufmann specifies five EcoPrinciples for designing a green modular home. It is summarized and rephrased below. (For full description of five points, please refer to the book.). PSE Consulting Engineers is a top structural sustainable structural design firm with years of experience applying these principles to our projects.
Smart decisions during the design process such as layout of the floor plan, the positioning of windows and doors, and the very orientation of the house can make green living easier and more successful.
It is important that materials are sustainably sourced, and their shipping and processing leave a minimal impact on the plant.
- Use renewable materials, such as bamboo.
- Use sustainably harvested materials.
- Use recycled materials whenever possible.
- Use long-lasting, low maintenance materials.
- Design and build efficient building envelopes.
- Use efficient fixtures and appliances
- Use efficient heating and cooling system.
- Use alternative energy sources, such as solar power.
- Utilize a monitoring system for energy
- Reduce water intake
- Reuse water.
- Use site water management.
- No off-gassing materials
- Use air-filtration.
- Use spray-in foam insulation.
- Use hard floor surfaces.