Aluminum Fabric Structures
The supporting structure whether it is a truss or dome could be much lighter by using aluminum.
Advantages of aluminum homes/buildings include:
- Aluminum is a lightweight material, so aluminum homes/buildings/ structures are easily transportable.
- Lending itself to a limitless number of structure types, aluminum can be used for any purpose.
- A unique combination of properties makes aluminum one of our most versatile engineering and construction materials.
- Aluminum is light in mass, yet some of its alloys have strength greater than that of structural steel.
- Its corrosion resistance means that the structure is naturally sound and viable in the long-term. When aluminum surfaces are exposed to the atmosphere, a thin invisible oxide skin forms immediately, this protects the metal from further oxidation.
- Aluminum is often used without any finish coating or painting. The cost of the initial painting alone may result in steel being more expensive than aluminum.
- Aluminum is the most abundant metal in the earth’s crust.
- As a reusable resource, aluminum building often utilizes recycled metal and can be reused when the structure is no longer needed.
- Lightness is one of aluminum’s most useful characteristics. The specific gravity is about 2.7. The mass and weight, of aluminum is roughly 35 percent that of iron, and 30 percent of that of copper.