Why is Re-Using Shipping Containers Eco-Friendly/Green?
The answer is simple; re-using any item or product has the least impact on the environment and, so is very green. The ultimate goals of sustainability are to Reuse, Reduce and, Recycle. Shipping containers made of steel or aluminum have been used in hundreds of projects around the world as the building blocks for a wide variety of buildings such as:
- Apartment Complexes
- Small Schools
- Offshore Living
- Coffee Shops
- Mixed Use Centers
The more we use shipping containers for other purposes, such as the home, the more we will reduce the number of idle shipping containers, save the environment from pollution, and create a uniquely designed project.
Shipping Container Homes
PSE Consulting Engineers, Inc. (PSE) offers a unique way of reducing pollution, by designing structures that reuse these shipping containers in an innovative way: shipping container homes. With just a few adjustments, shipping containers can be used as part of an excellent approach to sound home building. Shipping containers will provide housing and shelters in this rapidly changing world for many people who badly need homes. You can think of shipping containers as the building blocks, or modular units for the home. Shipping containers can be used in conjunction with factory steel, or lumber site built structures to form any shape you desire for your home.
Shipping Container Homes: Benefits
Using reusable products to build homes reduces waste around the world. Plus, shipping container homes offer notable benefits to the homeowner:
- Durability. Made with weathered steel, shipping containers can withstand most natural events and heavy weather
- Ease of Use. Already in block shape, shipping containers can easily be used to create homes. Build a home vertically or expand horizontally. It is like building with giant LEGOs®.
- Modern Design. Creating a home using shipping containers is creating art. Clean lines, colorful, shipping container homes will be a discussion piece for you and your guests.
- Shipping containers are self-supporting with beams and stout, marine-grade plywood flooring already in place, thereby eliminating time and labor during the home-building process.
- Since shipping/cargo containers are made from steel, they are non-combustible. Nationwide, at least 6,000 people die in fires each year, and an additional 100,000 are injured in combustible wood homes.
Area of Shipping/Cargo Containers Homes:
The area of shipping container homes ranges from a few hundred square feet, to several thousand square feet. See “How to Shape your Home from Shipping Containers” below.
Shipping/Cargo Container eBook – Free Download!
Complete the short form below and receive our “Starter Guide to Shipping/Cargo Container Structures eBook” free