Roof Options for Earthbag Buildings
For small round/circular earthbag homes/buildings, an earthbag dome for the roof is practical. However, when the span of the roof becomes big, or the building is not circular, a framed roof is recommended.
Examples of framed roof are:
- Roofs for earthbag buildings could be done with any type of construction material used for other types of construction such as:
- Lumber rafters or lumber trusses.
- Timber beams
- Log rafters and log trusses
- Bamboo rafters and trusses
- Light gauge steel rafters or light gauge steel trusses
Please note that:
- Earthbag walls must be anchored to the roof or floor at their tops.
- Using concrete bond beams on top of the earthbag walls with 2- #4 reinforcing bars is highly recommended.
The above statements/ information are just a general preliminary opinion and may not be applicable to your or to any user’s particular project. Users of the above opinions/information assume all liability arising from such use. You should retain the service of PSE Consulting Engineers, Inc. or a local licensed Professional Engineer. We do not make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for its use and/or application.