Most cities and counties require permits for pole buildings over a certain size or height, always check with your local building department. Although the design of pole structures is basically very simple, structural engineers should be employed in the design.
The safety and satisfactory performance of these buildings depend on the proper evaluation of loads, stresses, deflection, foundation capabilities and their relative influence and importance in a given case. Structural Components For
Pole Buildings Are:
- Light Lumber roof trusses, purlins and metal deck.
- Pressure treated timber poles.
- Small concrete foundation around the poles that extend 4 feet or more into the ground.
- Girts and Siding.
Structural Design for Enclosed Pole Buildings
Pole buildings could be used as a barn, shop, office and/or residence.
Codes for Pole buildings:
- International Building code, IBC.
- Part of the NDS manual is the Introduction to Timber Poles and Piles. See copy in the Pink binder.