Green Home Design
With the increasing focus on the environment, rising fuel costs and better education about sustainable goods, more and more people are becoming interested in the benefits of utilizing green home design. In fact, sustainable design is one of the fastest-growing segments of the construction industry, and the team at Precision Structural Engineering is at the forefront of the movement. Straw bale homes are a form of sustainable design that is still relatively unknown in the construction industry. However, as this concept begins to grow in popularity, PSE is leading the way in design and engineering in this burgeoning field. Read on for more information about this innovative design and construction concept.
Learn more: Green Engineering Services
Benefits of Straw Bale Homes
Maybe the early frontier builders had it right all along when they constructed their homes with straw bales! There are a number of distinctive benefits that make modern straw bale homes the ultimate in eco-friendly, sustainable building construction:
- They put agricultural waste products to good use, reducing the need for lumber.
- Using this agricultural waste reduces pollution by eliminating the need to burn the discarded straw.
- The materials needed for this type of construction are readily available worldwide – in other words, sustainable!
- Straw is such an efficient insulation material, that some estimate it can cut up to 75% of a homeowner’s heating and air conditioning costs.
- The reduction in heating and cooling reduces the use of fossil fuels, and thus the emission of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
- Homeowners who live in straw homes love the soundproofing properties of the material.
- Non-toxic straw, when used in combination with natural plasters, acts as a natural air filter and improves the quality of air entering the home.
If you’re currently considering your alternatives for green home design, talk to Precision Structural Engineering about the benefits of building with straw.