Construction | Remodel | New Construction
Planning a home or thinking about some home improvement, consider hiring an engineer to assess your project before you start. Most homeowners don’t realize they need an engineer until after they have started their project which could cause costly delays.
PSE has innovative engineers who will provide you with the necessary calculations and details for any of your projects. PSE has been designing projects using traditional building projects since 1998. Our engineers are always looking for ways to spice things up and think outside of the box. We have taken a lead on designing many unique sustainable residential, commercial, and industrial projects using a vast array of building materials.
Our engineers offer homeowners specialized knowledge and experience when it comes to home improvement, the design of your dream home, or green building design.
Typical residential projects which usually require plans or permits are:
- New home construction
- New garage construction
- New commercial or industrial construction
- Any addition onto an existing building or structure
- Sheds 120 square feet or larger (including overhang)
- Any fence taller than 6 feet
- Any retaining walls taller than 4 feet
- Swimming pools over 5,000 gallons
- Signs (commercial or industrial)
- Re-windowing (only if changing the size of the window frame)
- Fireplace installation
- Demolition of an existing structure
- Finishing off a roughed-in bathroom
- Finishing off a basement, which involves constructing walls.
- Installation of a bedroom egress exit window.
- Some larger excavation projects
- Moving a building in or out
- Electrical work must have a permit from the State Board of Electricity
- Plumbing work also requires a separate permit
(Every jurisdiction is different so be sure to check with your local building department before starting a home improvement project.)
PSE’s Quality Control for Design
Quality control starts with hiring the right staff with exceptional qualifications. Technical competency is the base for engineering design. As part of our quality control on design, we conduct extensive interviews with prospective candidates who wish to join our company. In some cases for entry level engineers, additional written tests are provided. Attitude is extremely important; our staff must have a positive attitude and a dedication to customer service.
Our company sets high standards for quality and design procedures, so each and every engineer is trained thoroughly on our company’s processes, while paired with senior team members for mentoring.
Quality control encompasses the following steps:
- Initial meeting with the client: First and foremost, we meet with the client to listen to his/her wants, needs and requirements.
- Initial Staff Meeting: Second comes an initial staff meeting between the Lead Engineer and the Project Manager.
- The Engineering Manager: lays out the overall structural system and considers alternatives.
- Engineering Manual: Our Engineering Manual, which is written by a College professor and practicing Engineer, consists of over forty chapters and two binders, three inches thick. Each chapter covers a type of construction method, materials used, or both. The combined chapters cover almost everything the Engineers need to develop high quality construction documents, starting from where to get the loads, load pass, to design. Our Engineering Manual acts as a comprehensive resource to guide our Engineers throughout the project development; with its clear-cut standards of excellence and demonstrative calculative examples and guidelines.